Friday, January 18, 2013

A Letter to Manti Te’o

                Ever since the news broke Wednesday afternoon, countless articles have been written about the Manti Te’o fake girlfriend drama. With all the details that each piece of writing brings forth it has become difficult to follow along. The following however is not a lengthy descriptive manuscript like the others. Obviously Te’o needs someone to give him some advice during this trying time in his life, so I volunteer myself. Manti if you somehow read this one day and follow in my preaching, feel free to throw some of that lucrative NFL money my way.



Dear Manti,
                You and I are really similar. How you might ask? Well we both are girlfriend-less individuals who struggle at tackling. We should hit the town together!  I heard South Bend is hopping on the weekends.
                Your character, as well as your skill, is now in question. What you were a Heisman trophy finalist? Yes I know that, but seriously dude did you see yourself against Alabama? No. Wait that is another similarity we share because I did not see you either during that game. I am just playing with you big guy, just like you played all of us.
                Nowadays, everywhere I turn I see your face. I have never seen grown men so caught up in reading Sports Illustrated except for when the swimsuit edition makes its illustrious appearance once a year. The media loves you man. You are the Lance Armstrong or Mark McGwire of going along with having a fake girlfriend. I do not know how big of a role you played in this whole saga. I am not here to judge. Oh wait, I am.
                You my friend are either the most naïve son of gun I know, or the stupidest human being I know; I am choosing the later just for the record. You are telling me, and the rest of the world, that you did not know that Lennay Kekua was as real as Winnie the Pooh. You are telling me that all your tweets and heartfelt interviews were about someone you truly thought was real. Come on Ti. Can I call you Ti?
                I get it. You are a college male. We all do some kind of, let’s call it playful fibbing, about the women we wish we had in our lives. The problem is this, you or whichever distant relative you want to blame, killed her off. Leukemia bro? Seriously. Out of all the ways one can die you chose to kill her with a disease that affects hundreds of thousands of people. A disease Chuck Pagano has truly battled this past NFL season. Was saying that falling off a cliff to her death too extreme?
                You will say that you had no part in this and that YOU were the victim of a hoax. Give me a break. Nobody in their right mind, that is not a diehard Notre Dame fan, believes you.
                You have destroyed your image. The jokes that are made about you now are downright hilarious. Like: my teacher asked me for my homework and I said I did not have it. I told her it was at Manti Te’o’s girlfriend’s house. I know you were just lol-ing when you were reading that. Cheer up though. You can get through this by following my simple steps. Just call me your life coach.
                First, come out and hold a press conference. Stop hiding in your snug South Bend apartment and address the media. We have all learned that you adore the spotlight. State that you indeed were a part of this. Apologize for all the pain you caused. Become the face of leukemia research because you owe all the people that battle the dreaded disease an apology too. Finally, move on. Simple enough for you?
                Sure you will be hounded forever. People will make fun of you until the day you pass away. The Te’o fake girlfriend jokes will bring us laughs for years. I hope you watch the Marquette-Notre Dame basketball game on March 2nd, I will be the one with the plain white poster that says “Manti Te’o’s girlfriend” over it. Still you can make a name for yourself in a positive fashion. You can transform from Manti Te’o the fake girlfriend killer to Manti Te’o the stud NFL linebacker who also killed off his fake girlfriend.
                You my friend have turned from a Rudy-like folk hero, to a fraud. I know you might deny your involvement for the rest of your life, but just give it up. Throw in the towel and admit defeat. You can move on from this and you will if you follow my image recovery steps.

Look forward to seeing you play on Sundays.

Best Regards,
Nick Kapetan

P.S.  If your football career does not work out, you should become a soap opera writer. They get paid a decent wage to kill off people for a living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment