Monday, August 4, 2014

A Comprehensive Fantasy Football Guide Created By An Average Joe Just Trying To Win A League Championship



By: Matt Barbato (@RealMattBarbato)

“Luxury at a thin position.”

I did plenty of research, looked at plenty of players, did too many mock drafts to count (what kills more time during a boring summer afternoon than a mock draft?) and that was the motto I came out with entering draft day of my Screw T.O. fantasy league draft.

The league name dates itself, as it was created in grade school with three of my friends in my dad’s home office. It’s the league for which I am commissioner, and as I sat on my deck, eating pizza and enjoying the company of my best friends and fellow league opponents, that was what kept running through my mind: “Luxury at a thin position.”

When the draft began on a beautiful late-August night, I believed that piling up first and second-tier running backs in the early rounds was the way to go. My theory made sense. The running back position has the least amount of elite talent and the talent dramatically drops off as early as round four or five.

This alarmed me, and with the fourth-pick in my draft, I took Tampa Bay Buccaneers back Doug Martin. In the second round, I took the man I deemed as a touchdown machine, Stevan Ridley. In round three, I continued the unorthodox by selecting Maurice Jones-Drew, who was entering a contract season and had “something to prove.”

Bust, bust, bust.

My best back out of that group was Jones-Drew who ranked 19th among fantasy backs. Ridley had a four-game stretch in which he hit double-digit points, but did not exceed eight points in any other contest. Martin injured his shoulder in Week 7 and missed the rest of the season and was struggling beforehand.

By virtue of a great trade that landed me Matthew Stafford and DeMarco Murray, I managed to make the playoffs, but managing might have been an understatement. I squeaked in. I went 7-5 and won three games by scoring less than 70 points and won a lousy division. I was the benefactor of extreme fantasy luck and my strategy left me thin at other positions and my opponents took advantage.
Thank goodness I didn’t write a draft strategy guide that year. But, that’s the beauty of fantasy football. We can look back and reassess. I’m going to barrage you with plenty of my opinions and strategies and I’ll give you a handful of the players who fit my mindset. But before I begin, here are some general guidelines that I advise anyone.

·         Using ESPN or Yahoo rankings are a great guide, but don’t let the rankings dictate your draft. If you like somebody, take him. A person in the Screw T.O. league took LeVeon Bell in round three and I almost fell out of my chair. Not only did Bell become a solid back by year’s end, he scored one more point that Martin and Ridley (my first two picks) combined.
·         If there’s someone you don’t like one bit, don’t take him if he falls farther than he should. There’s a reason he’s falling. Case in point, Mike Wallace. I didn’t want Wallace at all, but he ended up falling into the double-digit rounds and I snagged him. I thought it could be a steal, but I was dead wrong. He scored only 117 points, fewer than Keenan Allen, Riley Cooper and Marvin Jones, guys I could have gotten in the same round.
·         I say this to everyone. Do not take a kicker or a defense until the final three rounds. I get it. Seattle’s defense is dominant and Matt Prater hits 60-yard field goals, but don’t pass up on a depth running back or wide receiver because of it. The difference between Stephen Gostkowski (last year’s best kicker) and Dan Carpenter (the 10th best kicker) is 30 points. The only thing that matters with a defense is turnover-capability, a crap-shoot to begin with, and special teams. Remember, a shutout with no turnovers or sacks equals 10 points.
·         Save your deepest sleeper for your last pick. I know I devalued kickers and defenses, but get those two positions done before you take a big-time sleeper. And it’s OK to take a guy who is ranked so low you can’t find him on your cheat sheet. We all need to splurge every once in a while. Just don’t be that guy taking Brett Favre.
·         Don’t over-think the bye week. I’ve seen too many instances where a person ponders a pick based off of bye week. Who cares?

With those general guidelines out of the way, let’s get into my specific strategies.
Get a running back in the first two rounds – I know I might have discouraged you with my horror story of last season’s draft, but the facts remain the same. Only five running backs scored more than 200 fantasy points last season: Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch and Knowshon Moreno. Lynch just ended a lengthy contract holdout and is coming off of back-to-back seasons with more than 300 carries (beware of wear-and-tear). Moreno is going from Peyton Manning in Denver to Ryan Tannehill in Miami and entered minicamp out of shape. The former three, plus Adrian Peterson are the four elite backs who you can start with confidence every week. That’s not to say there isn’t talent out there, but there isn’t a lot. Along with those four, Arian Foster (remember him?) Eddie Lacy, Zac Stacy, Giovani Bernard, DeMarco Murray, Reggie Bush (especially in PPR formats), Frank Gore, Le’Veon Bell, Andre Ellington (more on him later) and Alfred Morris are the only guys I believe can be relatively reliable starting backs. I say relatively because they aren’t elite, but they should give you at least eight quality starts in a 13-game regular season.

The point is, running back is too thin of a position to wait until round three to take. I listed 14 backs who I have a good amount of confidence in starting (excluding the flex spot) in my weekly lineups. Most fantasy football leagues have 10 or 12 teams in it. You do the math. Don’t be stuck with Ryan Matthews and Shane Vereen as your top-two backs.
Quarterback, the unending conundrum – Truthfully, I’m still not sure how I’m going to handle this position come draft day (Aug. 10 for the Screw T.O. league, all are welcome). Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning are the three best players and you can’t go wrong with either of them (although a tip, Manning has to face the entire NFC West, plus the Patriots and Bengals). But what do you do if you don’t get one of those guys? Well, the difference between Cam Newton (the third-ranked QB) and Tom Brady (the 13th-best QB) is 41 points.  There isn’t a large disparity among the quarterbacks once you get out of the elite group. In his draft day manifesto, Matthew Berry says to be “one of the first people to take a quarterback, or the last.” Although I understand Berry’s point, I think I’d still rather take Andrew Luck a few rounds earlier than Tony Romo or Tom Brady.

There is tremendous value with getting a Romo, Brady or even Phillip Rivers in the 10th round, but there are a few players I’d consider breaking that strategy for: Luck, Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan. Luck is only getting better as a pro, while his offensive line and running game remain stagnant in mediocrity. If the Colts want to make the postseason, Luck will have to throw for 4,000 yards and 30 touchdowns. Stafford is a gun-slinger and although he is in a new system under Jim Caldwell, he has too many weapons to not succeed. Ryan threw for over 4,500 yards without Roddy White and Julio Jones and a porous offensive line. Ryan will be the biggest steal of the draft if you can get him in the later rounds.

I got a top RB, but how do I fill out my depth? This is a tougher question to answer than you might think, because after the top-14, it gets harder to find any safe selections. However, there are a few sleepers who could develop into top-15 backs.

Andre Ellington might be the best value at running back. He’s not well-known and plays in a pass-happy system in Arizona, but Ellington is a slashing back who is very good at catching passes out of the backfield. With Rashard Mendenhall gone, Ellington will get an opportunity to be a bell-cow back in the desert.

Toby Gerhart is another guy I feel pretty good about. He wasn’t anything special in Minnesota, but keep in mind he was playing second-fiddle to Adrian Peterson. Jacksonville doesn’t have anyone who can run between the tackles and the offensive line should be better.

Rashad Jennings is someone I like as well. The Giants tried the David Wilson experiment and it failed miserably. Wilson may cut into Jennings’ carries and rookie Andre Williams could find a place in the backfield too, but Jennings will get the starters reps. Also, Jennings was the 22nd-best running back last season with only 163 carries.

A few other guys who I like, but won’t elaborate on: Joique Bell, Pierre Thomas,  Danny Woodhead and Khiry Robinson. None of these guys are locks, so the best way to fill out your depth is to take a bunch of guys who are either in good systems, with good offensive lines and/or will get a good chunk of carries. In the running-back-by-committee (RBBC) NFL, finding guys who can start in the later rounds is key.
Wide receiver is loaded, but getting an elite guy will give you a noticeable advantage – If you can get a stud wide receiver like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant or Antonio Brown, it makes your draft much easier. The stress of having a loaded receiving group lessens. You can spend more picks on sleepers like Cordarrelle Patterson, Kendall Wright and Emmanuel Sanders and not feel concerned about it because you’ve got that top guy.

There are plenty of consolation prizes outside of those five guys, though. Julio Jones will bounce back. Jordy Nelson is the most underrated stud in fantasy football. Alshon Jeffrey is a freak. Vincent Jackson and Larry Fitzgerald are number-one wide outs who might not go until rounds four or five. 21 wide receivers scored at least 130 points last season. Get two of those guys in the first seven rounds and you’re sitting pretty.

The drawback to wide receivers is that the sleepers are pretty tough to predict. There are so many guys who can breakout because of talent or system change, but just can’t do it. Denarius Moore was a popular late-round pick because he was the only capable receiver (at least we thought) in Oakland. He scored 95 points all season. Riley Cooper, who was talked more about for his racist comments than his playing ability, scored 128. 

I already listed my big three sleepers above, but a few other guys I like are T.Y. Hilton, Golden Tate, Eric Decker, Terrance Williams and DeAndre Hopkins. Victor Cruz, Randall Cobb, Michael Crabtree and Wes Welker will be underestimated because of injury and disappointing 2013 seasons, so don’t be afraid to snatch them up if they drop.
Be selective about your tight ends and don’t overdraft – Tight end is an intriguing position. Jimmy Graham is obviously the best choice. And just so you know, he is worthy of a first-round pick.

Remember my stat about the 21 wide receivers who scored more than 130 points last year? Only Graham, Vernon Davis and Julius Thomas scored more than 130 points.  Nine tight ends scored more than 100 points. I’d advise taking your second or third wide receiver before taking a tight end, depending on who’s available.

There are a handful of guys who have a lot of upside. Jordan Cameron could be an emerging stud in 2014. Greg Olsen is a steady option and should get more targets with the lack of weapons on the outside for Carolina. Dennis Pitta is returning from a knee injury and he and Joe Flacco had a good connection in the past. My biggest sleeper is Kyle Rudolph. Norv Turner is the new offensive coordinator in Minnesota. Guess who was Cleveland’s OC last season? Norv Turner. Guess who broke out in 2013? Jordan Cameron. And the quarterback situations are similar. Rudolph will be a guy who has the potential of being a top-10 tight end who won’t get drafted until the double-digit rounds.

So there it is . I have spilled my mind out to you with plenty of fantasy football insights that will hopefully help you and me in our respective drafts. To those of you I will be drafting with, try not to steal too many of my sleepers.

My last piece of advice is to be your own fantasy player. Just because Matthew Berry thinks one way doesn’t mean you can’t deviate from the expert path. After my 2013 fantasy season, the only thing I’m confident about in fantasy football is that I am the farthest thing from a fantasy football expert. Some ideas work, some don’t. And that’s the beauty of the game.

Be sure to follow Matt on Twitter (@RealMattBarbato)

The Sports ReKap, hosted by Nick Kapetan and DJ Vogt, will begin airing again in September on MarquetteWire.org.

Follow Us On Twitter

Nick- @KapN93
DJ- @DvJ14
Like Us On Facebook

Be sure to visit Sobelman's this summer, the official sponsor of The Sports ReKap, and try their array of mouthwatering burgers. Visit their website: http://www.milwaukeesbestburgers.com/

It is still over 9 months away but please start considering joining a Relay For Life team at your school next year. For more information on how to join a team at Marquette please contact Kristen Krawczyk at kristen.krawczyk@marquette.edu

The Sports ReKap is happy to announce the additions of Matt Barbato, Michael Felish, Chris Linskens, Kevin Saad, Kevin Clancy, and Brendan Garrity as full-time contributors to the show. If you want to be a part of the show this year email Nick at nicholas.kapetan@marquette.edu.




No comments:

Post a Comment