Sunday, June 8, 2014

Know Your Place Youngster: Why Manny Machado's Actions Over The Weekend Reflect Negatively On The Game Of Baseball


There are many physical features that I possess that make me seem more like a 70 year old man than someone that is about to turn 21. From my receding hairline to my constantly aching back, I sometimes have to remind myself that I am still in college rather than slurping my soup through a straw at an elderly community. 

My opinion on many issues in this world also makes me feel like a grandpa instead of a college student. Call me old fashion but I absolutely hate the mentality that some people my age have in the workplace. I have seen it first hand.

These twenty something year olds walking into the joint like they have years of experience and this "I'm the man, I'm the man, I'm man" mindset. This happens in every work setting from corporate America to the world of sports. I'm not saying all people do this and quite frankly I'm not the utmost authority on being mature. Ask anybody who has known me for more than five minutes and they will tell you I'm an obnoxious plump kid that should really keep some of his opinions to himself.

Do my opinions get me in trouble? You bet they do. But I know that when entering into a work environment, I have to act with respect and pretty much wear a muzzle. I wish some professional athletes that make way more money than I do would do the same thing. 


On Sunday, Baltimore Orioles phenom Manny Machado decided that he was bigger than the game. After having a problem with Oakland Athletics third baseman Josh Donaldson's tag attempt on Friday, Machado wanted retribution. After Orioles pitchers threw at Donaldson on Friday, (I had no problem with that), the 21 year old Machado took two lengthy swings on Sunday in which the follow throughs smashed into A's catcher Derek Norris' face mask, the second one resulting in the backstop leaving the game. On top of that Machado's bat "slipped" out of his hands after being thrown at. Yeah Manny, it "slipped". 

Usually when a batter does that he turns around and asks the catcher if he is ok. Machado did not do that. Instead he believed that his actions were warranted in order to show Oakland that they can't disrespect someone of his caliber. That's like a 21 year old Harvard graduate, who finished at the top of his or her class, thinking they are above a veteran of the company. 

I would expect something like this from Yasiel Puig. The Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder is all about running his mouth and having the spotlight placed on him. But Machado? I really thought Manny was different. I thought he knew how to conduct himself and act like a player is suppose to act when he doesn't have much experience in the bigs. I guess I was wrong.

This is the problem that baseball is faced nowadays. The game wants to appeal to the younger fans through flashy players like Puig, Machado, and Bryce Harper but it ends up coming back to bit them. These players act like they are baseball,  like they are above veterans. Maybe this is just the mentality of people my age. 

As someone whose favorite sport is baseball, I am concerned. I am worried that the game is starting to become catered to the casual fans because there are more out there than those that actually love the game. The casual fan is more likely to be drawn to Machado and Puig because their antics make a "boring" game more fun.

My inability to hit a curveball, run fast, and quit stuffing my face with Pop Tarts ruined my chances of making a career out of playing baseball. Still, I hope to enjoy the game with my kids and grandkids some day. I just hope these type of players don't become the norm by then. 




Agree or disagree with Kap's take on Machado? Leave a comment below the link.

The Sports ReKap, hosted by Nick Kapetan and DJ Vogt, will begin airing again in September on MarquetteWire.org.

Follow The Guys On Twitter For The Latest Insight On The Happenings In The Sporting World:

Nick- @KapN93
DJ- @DvJ14


Like Us On Facebook

Be sure to visit Sobelman's this summer, the official sponsor of The Sports ReKap, and try their array of mouthwatering burgers. Visit their website: http://www.milwaukeesbestburgers.com/

It is still over 10 months away but please start considering joining a Relay For Life team at your school next year. For more information on how to join a team at Marquette please contact Kristen Krawczyk at kristen.krawczyk@marquette.edu

The Sports ReKap is happy to announce the additions of Michael Felish, Chris Linskens, Matt Barbato, Kevin Clancy, and Brendan Garrity as full-time contributors to the show. If you want to be a part of the show this year email Nick at nicholas.kapetan@marquette.edu.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment